MBBS (S’pore), MHSc (Duke), MRCSEd, FRCSEd (Gen Surg) Fellowship, Advanced Endovascular Surgery (Melbourne Aust)
Dr Benjamin Chua is a Vascular & Endovascular Surgeon and is currently Medical Director and Senior Consultant Vascular Surgeon at the Vascular & Interventional Centre, Mount Elizbeth Novena Hospital and Farrer Park Medical Centre.
Prior to setting up the Vascular & Interventional Centre. Dr Chua was the Founding Head of the Department of Vascular Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, the first independent clinic Department in Singapore dedicated to caring for patients with vascular diseases. He was also Senior Consultant Surgeon and Director, Endovascular Surgery.
Dr Chua graduated MBBS from the National University of Singapore. In 2001, he was awarded the prestigious Singapore National Medical Research Council (NMRC) Fel-lowship Training Award, to pursue the Clinical Research Training Programme at Duke University School of Medicine, obtaining his MHSc in Clinical Research in 2003. While at Duke, he was also a research fellow at the Duke Clinical Research fellow at the Duke Clinical Research Institute, focusing on lower limb PVD in the dialysis depend-ent populations and the development of randomized trials in surgery.
Dr Chua is regional proctor and case demonstrator, travelling extensively in the Asia-Pacific region to teach and proctor complex aortic stenting, peripheral vascular inter-ventions and endovenous surgery. He is also regularly invited to be faculty and speak-er at many regional and international vascular conferences
In his clinical practice, Dr Chua’s passions are in limb salvage surgery, venous inter-ventions and aortic aneurysms surgery. His drive is to provide effective treatment for diabetic foot problems to prevent limb amputations and to improve patient’s quality of life.
Dr Chua is the holder of research grants for A* star in the development of novel medi-cal devices to treat PVD and aortic aneurysms.
To further provide excellent care to his patient with various diseases, Dr Chua has set up an ambulatory surgical centre with an Angiosuite. It is the first of its kind in Asia with the latest imaging fluoroscopy equipment that will allow him to provide more effi-cient and safer interventions (angioplasty, stenting etc) for various arterial and venous conditions
Some condition that can be treated effectively and safely includes the following
Aortic Aneurysms and Dissections
Simple and complex aortic aneurysms
Thoracoabdominal aneurysms and dissections
Peripheral Vascular Diseases
Diabetic limb salvage
Aortic-iliac occlusive disease
Functional Vascular claudication
Renal and visceral artery stenoses
Lower limb peripheral arterial stenoses /occlusions
Chronic non-healing wounds and gangrene of feet
Extracranial Arterial Diseases
Thoracic outlet syndrome
Carotid artery stenosis /occlusions
Subclavian artery stenoses/occlusions
Chronic non-healing venous ulcers
Superficial lower limb varicose veins
Acute Deep Venous thrombosis (DVT)
Chronic deep venous occlusions or reflux
Acute and Chronic Lymphedema
Congenital and acquired vascular malformations of different vascular territories
- 2008 – Present: Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, FRCSEd (Gen Surg)
- 2008 – Present: Specialist Accreditation Board, Ministry of Health, Singapore
- 2005 - Present: Member, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, MRCS(Ed)
- 2000 - Present : Singapore Medical Council
- 2006 – Present: Honorary Treasurer, Vascular Surgical Society (Singapore)
- 2000 - Present : Singapore Medical Association
- 2011 – Present: Alternate Member, SingHealth Centralized Institutional Re-view Board
- 2015 – Present : Senior Consultant and Medical Director, The Vascular and Interventional Centre, Mount Elizabeth Novena Specialist Centre Singapore.
- 2017 – Present : Senior Consultant and Medical Director, The Vascular and Interventional Centre, Farrer Park Medical Centre Singapore.
- 2012 – 2015: Deputy Director, Device Development Office, Academic Clinical Programme in Surgery, SingHealth
- 2011 – 2015: Director, The Alexander Chao Endovascular and Vascular Surgical Skills Platform, Division of Surgery, Singapore General Hospital
- 2012 – 2015: Chairman, Evidence –Based Medicine Committee, Division of Surgery, Singapore General Hospital
- 2011 –2015: Singapore General Hospital, SingHealthHead of Department, Senior Consultant,
- 2013 –2015: Director of Endovascular Surgery, Department of Vascular Sur-gery, Singapore General Hospital
- 2011- 2013: Consultant and Director Endovascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, Singapore General
- Farrer Park Hospital
- Gleneagles Hospital
- Mount Elizabeth Orchard Hospital
- Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital
- Mount Alvernia Hospital
- Parkway East Hospital
- Raffles Hospital
- Starmed Specialist Centre
- The Vascular & Interventional Centre; Novena Specialist Center